How does Happy House Sitters work?
Both house-sitters and home owners register as members. The sitter creates and advertisement about themselves and the areas they are interested in. The home owner also creates an advertisement about their home and the arrangement they are looking for. House-sitters and home owners then connect in one or both of the following ways.
1. You search for homes to sit As a registered house-sitter, you can search anywhere in Australia for homes to house sit, and you can apply to sits in the areas you registered. When you find something of interest, you send a message directly to that home owner. (This is your chance to sell yourself as a great house-sitter). When the home owner replies to your message you arrange a time to meet and discuss the house sit.
2. Home Owners search for you Home owners can also search our database for potential house-sitters. If they like the sound of you, they will send you a message to see if you are interested. (It is very important that you are easy to reach. Many home owners will just message the next person on their list if they can't contact you)
Why choose Happy House Sitters?
1. Value for membership. We have more houses per sitter than any other site. 85% of our ad budget is spent on attracting new home owners to the site. We engage heavily in social media and, over the years, have built a large database of 'repeat' home owners that choose our sitters each time they go away. We surveyed our sitters to see what they thought of HHS: 86% of respondents said they, 'joined or re-joined because there were more sits available compared to other sites'. source - HHS Sitter customer survey - 387 respondents (Oct 13)
2. Our reputation We have been serving the Australian house and pet sitting community since 1999. Please read our testimonials and reviews
3. Our driving philosophy - How we operate Our philosophy to success and longevity remains a mix of old-fashioned customer service and the more home owners you have on a site the more successful your sitters will be
4. Our guarantee to you If after 12 or 18 months you don't find any homes to apply for, we will give you $30 back an extra three months on your membership. Absolutely FREE (does not apply to 4 month memberships)
5. Outstanding customer service Pleasingly, our House Sitter customer service survey revealed: 78% viewed our customer service as either ‘Excellent’ or ‘very good’ source - HHS House Sitter customer service survey - 387 resondents (Oct 13).
6. Flexible memberships 4,12 and 18 month memberships available.
7. Suspend your membership - no time limit on suspension If you are not house sitting or need to rent your membership can be suspended. This can make a 12 month membership last up to 3 - 4 years. Join to contact home owners or join our FREE Trial Search.
How do I become a house-sitter?
Become a full member by completing our registration form. We will then send you an email with your login details. Create an advertisement about yourself. See examples here. Login to the members' section. Here you can search homes available and contact any of the home owners.
How are sitter's profiles prioritised?
When a home owner searches for a sitter the results are displayed in the following order
1. List displays all sitters who selected 'Preferred Locations' that match the home owner's location. Eg: If the house is in Inner Sydney. All sitters who have selected Inner Sydney, Sydney and NSW are displayed.
2. This list is then Sorted by: The sitter most recently logged in. So the sitter most recently logged in is at the top of the list.
We feel this is the fairest way to display sitter profiles as the most active people (those currently searching) are always at or near the top.
Should I upload a photo?
Yes. definitely. Members with photos always get a better response than those without. In fact we suggest you upload several. Just take a quick photo with your phone if you dont have one handy.
'New house sit available' email alerts
When a new house sit is posted in your nominated areas we will send you an email alert. We offer two types of email alerts. These can be selected via your account.
1. Real time email alerts - sent when the house sit is posted, or
2. Single daily email alert - A list of all sits posted in the previous 24 hours. Sent between 8-10 am AEST
How does the Response Rating work?
We have introduced a Response Rating for all members - Sitters and Home Owners. Whilst the vast majority of members reply to messages quickly, this feature is designed to encourage a timely response to messages. It also allows other members to know who is the most active on the site. It is not designed to penalise members!
The Response Rating only applies to initial messages. It works like this...
1. Everyone starts with 5 stars.
2. When you receive an initial message you will receive an email from us advising you have a message. You will also get a reminder at days 1 and 3 post receipt. If the message is replied to within 4 days of receipt nothing happens.
3. If it is replied to more than 4 days post receipt 1 star is deducted
4. If you reply to the next initial message within 4 days of receipt, you regain 1 lost star.
I'm travelling and will be out of phone/Internet range
Reduced Contact function - found in your account under 'My Messages'.
In your account under 'My Messages' there is a checkbox titled 'Reduced contact'. When you click this the words 'Reduced contact' display on your profile instead of stars. This tells other members you are temporarily 'out of range'. It also suspends the Response Rating function so you don't lose stars if initial messages are not replied to within 4 days
Should I enter into a formal agreement with my home owner?